Text Size

From December 1-3, we're celebrating the UN International Day of Persons with Disabilities. Film festivals will be held in 5 locations across BC. Stay tuned for details!

Watch our 60th Anniversary video that honours and remembers the civil rights history of people with intellectual disabilities in BC. Read more about our history here.

Our new report shows the continued systemic use of restraint and seclusion in BC schools. Read more.

Where can I get support?

There are many organizations out there that provide support, information and resources for people with developmental disabilities and/or families supporting a loved one with a developmental disability.

If what you're looking for isn't on this website, Inclusion BC is here to help you. Call us (Toll free) at 1-844-488-4321 or email advocacy@inclusionbc.org.

Here are a few places you can go for support:

Your Local Association for Community Living

Throughout B.C. there are community living associations that provide services and supports of various kinds to families and people with developmental disabilities. Inclusion BC's membership includes over 70 of these organizations. We encourage you to contact the community living association in your area. If you need help locating the nearest association, contact the Inclusion BC office or look at our online list of member associations by region.

Many of our member associations have parent support and information groups where parents can meet to support each other. Associations also may have a staff person whose job is to provide family support information and assistance to local families. In addition, many community living associations are run by volunteer boards that include family members and individuals with disabilities.

Your Local Family Support Worker

Many non-profit organizations that provide services to children, youth and adults with developmental diabilities and their families have a Family Support Worker (FSW) on staff. Their knowledge and expertise is a good resource for families who are facing the challenges of finding support for their children. Many FSW's facilitate parent support groups and workshops in their communities. Inclusion BC provides support to the network of FSW's by hosting several meetings each year, including information updates and presentations on relevant issues.

Click here for a complete list of Family Support Workers in the province to find one near you.

Community Living British Columbia (CLBC)

Community Living BC (CLBC) is the provincial authority that is responsible for delivering support and services to adults with developmental disabilities in British Columbia. If you wish to obtain services and supports funded by the government, you will need to contact the CLBC office nearest to you. If the community living association in your area has a family support worker or advocate, they may be able to help you contact the nearest office and determine what services would be available to you. Visit the CLBC website for more information.

The Family Support Institute (FSI)

The purpose of the Family Support Institute is to strengthen families faced with the extraordinary circumstances that come with having a family member who has a disability. They believe that families are the best resources available to support one another. Trained local parents volunteer in communities across BC to be regional resource parents. A regional resource parent is the parent of a child with a disability who can offer you a variety of supports. FSI also offers workshops, information and a lending library. FSI can be reached at 604-540-8374 / toll free 1-800-441-5403 or email: fsi@fsibc.com. Visit the website at: http://www.familysupportbc.com/.

The Family Support Institute recently launched a BC-wide website (www.supportworkercentral.com) where individuals or their families can create job profiles and connect with freelance support workers in their communities. 

The Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD)

In June 2008, all services for children and youth with special needs were transferred from Community Living BC to the Ministry of Children and Family Development. MCFD now funds a range of programs and services for children and youth with special needs and their families. Click here for a list of the services provided within MCFD. Visit the "Children and Youth with Special Needs" section of the MCFD website for more information.