Text Size

From December 1-3, we're celebrating the UN International Day of Persons with Disabilities. Film festivals will be held in 5 locations across BC. Stay tuned for details!

Our new report shows the continued systemic use of restraint and seclusion in BC schools. Read more.

Watch our 60th Anniversary video that honours and remembers the civil rights history of people with intellectual disabilities in BC. Read more about our history here.

BC Advocacy: Who to talk to

We all want to live good, satisfying lives in our communities. Sometimes we need extra help or support to do that. If you are having trouble getting the support you or your family member with a developmental disability needs, here are some steps to follow that may be useful.

*updated July, 2015

Dealing with Community Living BC 

If, following eligibility acceptance and planning with a facilitator, Community Living BC (CLBC) does not provide any support or inadequate levels of support or you feel that you have been treated inappropriately, there is a CLBC Complaint Resolution Process. Information is available on their website http://www.communitylivingbc.ca/wp-content/uploads/Learn-about-the-Complaints-Resolution-Process.pdf

Step One:

There are three ways to file a complaint:

  • contact CLBC Quality Assurance Office directly at 1-877-660-2522.
  • visit any CLBC office and ask staff to assist with filling out a short form.

Step Two:

A regional review will be conducted and a response, giving a decision, recommendation(s) will be provided.

Step Three: 

If you are not satisfied following a review of the complaint you should contact CLBC’s Manager of Quality Assurance directly at 1-877-660-2522 or ComplaintsResolutionCLBC@gov.bc.ca. The Manager will contact you within 72 hours, initiate a review and provide a written response within 10 days.

If you are not satisfied with the Quality Manager’s response, you will be invited to contact CLBC’s Chief Executive Officer who will conduct a review and submit a written decision to you within 10 days.

Chief Executive Officer:     Seonag Macrae
Address:                            Suite 700 - 1200 West 73rd Avenue
                                          Vancouver BC  V6P 6G5
Phone:                               604-664-0101
                                          1-877-660-2522 toll free
Email:                                seonag.macrae@gov.bc.ca

At any time during the CLBC process above you may and should also take the following steps:

1. Contact your MLA

To find your local MLA, visit http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm

2.   Call or email Inclusion BC

Inclusion BC's mission is to advocate for children, youth and adults with developmental disabilities and their families to ensure justice, rights and opportunities in all areas of their lives. You can contact Inclusion BC if you need someone to advocate for you. Sometimes we will connect you with someone in your community who can help, and other times we will get involved directly with your situation. 

Web:           www.inclusionbc.org

Phone:       (Toll free) 1-844-488-4321           

Email:        advocacy@inclusionbc.org

3. Advocate for Service Quality, Paula Grant (interim advocate).

Phone:   604.775.1238
Web:    http://www.sdsi.gov.bc.ca/advocate/

4. Contact the Minister responsible for Community Living BC.

To contact the current Minister responsible for Community Living BC, you can phone Enquiry BC and ask to be connected to the Minister responsible for Community Living BC. They will forward you to either the Minister's office or his/her consituency office. They will also tell you the current email address for that Minister. 

Telephone (Enquiry BC):       1-800-663-7867

5. Write to or call the opposition critic for Community Living BC.

Visit the NDP website to find out who the current opposition critic is for Community Living BC.

You can also reach him/her toll-free by calling Enquiry BC and asking for the Official Opposition Caucus: 1-800-663-7867

6. Write to the Premier

Online:  premier@gov.bc.ca
Phone:  250-387-1715
Fax:   250-387-0087

7. The Representative for Children and Youth
If your family member is a youth transitioning to CLBC’s adult services, or is between 19-24 years old, you can contact the Representative for Children and Youth.

Phone:  1-800-476-3933.
Web:    https://www.rcybc.ca  

8 The BC Ombudsperson

• an officer of the provincial legislature
• independent of government and political parties
• responsible for making sure that the administrative practices and services of public agencies are fair, reasonable, appropriate and equitable

Phone:  toll-free at 1-800-567-3247
Web:   https://www.bcombudsperson.ca/

9. The Family Support Institute (FSI)

Staff in the FSI office can help navigate systems and connect you to other family members who are volunteer Resource Parents for support.

Phone: 604-540-8374
 1-800-441-5403 toll free